Monday, June 9, 2014

As Class Starts

I figured I'd do one last post in a sad attempt to receive a better grade for this assignment. As a whole I really enjoyed this class because it was a topic that was relevant to almost every single person in the class. It was contemporary, it was new, and it was interesting. I learned things that I had no idea were such a large part of our culture and our society. I loved the social media and transmedia portions of class due to the immersion of those topics within my everyday life. With social media, I use it every single day, and saw the true impact that it has on our lives when we talked about it in class. For transmedia, I had experienced it almost all of my life with Star Wars and Pokemon. I played the video games, collected the cards, watched the TV shows, and experienced the movies. It brought me so much joy as a kid to see the Jedi and Sith being mentioned in the movies and shows fighting beside me as a 10 year old boy; to see the Pokemon I spent hours catching and training every morning before I went to school. These transmedia franchises evolved with me over time. As I got older, I began reading the books and playing the more complicated video games. Even as a 21 year old in college, you get a special joy of turning on a Pokemon game and reliving all that you had done as a child, of playing with a toy lightsaber, and of rewatching the classic movies and shows. Transmedia has created a new powerhouse for franchises that allow them to outlast their competition and build their own society, culture, and universe that fans will take part in for the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment